Tuesday 11 August 2015

Freelance 101 - Starting up.

Hiya guys, i'm going to touch upon a subject that is apart of my daily routine - freelance make-up artistry. Trying to start up in this industry can be daunting and with so many things to take into consideration it can be rather overwhelming. Stress no more as I am going to be giving you some tips and pointers on how to start up your freelance artistry and how to improve/maintain your reputation!

Ofcourse i'm not going to sit here and tell you i'm the best, that I know everything and that where I am is what you're aiming for because that would all be a lie. However, I am at a point where i'm taking regular bookings and have returning, loyal, customers and a growing clientele base. I'm sharing with you the tips and tricks i've picked up along the way, i'm not at the end of my journey, I am at a stepping stone and i'm mighty proud of myself for all ive achieved so far.




1. Exposure - One of the most important parts of starting up is getting the exposure you need to build up a clientele! I suggest starting up a facebook page with the term 'make-up artist' or 'MUA'. This optimises your advertising audience as if for instance somebody searches for your services 'Sally Make-up and beauty' will appear higher than just 'Sally Beauty'. Instagram is another crucial social media platform and I highly suggest making a separate account again, with the key words of your services in your name or description. A separate account appears more professional and will appeal to everyone where as you will encounter people who don't care about what you had for dinner and only care about how 'fleek' your eyebrows are.



2. Your work - Once you have your social media platforms you're going to need something to share. Anything around the subject of your passion/interest is perfect whether that be make-up on yourself, photos of your make-up collection and most importantly photo's of your work on others. It's important to make sure that your images are clear and of a good quality (i'm not talking about expensive camera good, your phone will do but a good image is key). On Instagram using #hashtags will really maximize your audience - so go crazy!


3. Seriously though, photo's of your work - It's so important to showcase what you can do, there's no point in saying 'I'm a make-up artist, book me for your wedding' if you have no way to prove how good you are and what you can do. Good shots should be clear, of a good camera quality so it's not blurry or grainy. If you need to you CAN edit your photos BUT not airbrush them. A quick tweak on sharpness, contract ect can help show the true colours but blurring skin on clients is sort of un-true of your skills.


That's it for the first instalment of my 'Freelance 101' series. Over the next few weeks I will be hitting you with tips that i've learnt over my course of time to help you little diamonds make it in the make-up industry. I will be covering everything from your presentation, make-up techniques and how to build up a portfolio. Any questions, suggestions or any topic you'd like me to touch upon please let me know!

Hope you enjoyed it dolls,
Charleigh xo

No comments:

Post a Comment